The world would have been a slightly less interesting place if human civilisation would not have discovered the concept of traveling. In fact human civilisation flourished to a great extent because people from various part of the globe traveled, and they traveled extensively.
With the commencement of new year, let the traveler in you explore the world. Here I share 5 places I have been to in 2014, which gave me a different perspective of the world. Do not wait, take a backpack- and explore the world!
1. Kodaikanal, Tamil Nadu: Though a popular destination in the southern part of the nation, Kodaikanal is still serene and, at times, untouched! Kodaikanal
Beautiful Kodai lake
has many things to offer- a beautiful lake to cycle around, delicious homemade chocolates all around, and quite yet amazingly beautiful waterfalls.
Must do: Take a hotel near the less popular Bear Shola waterfall, and visit it in the early hours.
2. Palolem Beach, Goa: The Southern part of Goa is known for its quietness and serene beauty. Palolem beach is one such place which has lots and lots to offer. The road to Palolem from the northern Goa introduces you to the beautiful Western Ghats.
Soccer Fever at the Palolem beach
On reaching Palolem, you will be welcomed by beautiful sea and a serene view which the crowded North Goa lacks.
Mystical roads of Pangot
Must do: Do not forget to take a ride on the backwaters before the sunset!
3. Pangot, Uttarakhand: 15 kilometres from Nainital, Pangot is heaven for people who love spending time in the wilderness. The place is widely known among the bird photographers for the myriad species of birds which come here all year round.
Serene rustic life of Sonapani
Must do: Explore the forest, and listen to the bird chirping.
4. Sonapani, Uttarakhand: For me Sonapani is a yearly pilgrimage. The beauty of the place can only be felt and not written. The place is beautiful because of the people present there. Situated in the Satoli village, the place offers mystical view of the Himalayan mountains.
|Camel and people at Sam|
Must do: Meet Ashish Arora and Deepa Pathak, co-founder of Himalayan Village.
5. Sam Sand Dunes, Thar, Rajasthan: Thar desert is known for the unbearable summers, but it is also one of the most beautiful place to explore in India. Sam village, which is at a distance of 42 kilometres from Jaisalmer, offers an amazing experience. From camel ride in the desert to Rajasthani folk evenings in the night, the place leaves you mesmerised. The place has many camps in the desert to stay over.
Must do: Sit on the Sand Dunes in the clear night sky, and see how galaxy unfolds itself.
This article was first published in LokMarg on January 7, 2015